Saturday, April 2, 2011

Health tip: Transition from Fruits to Vegetables

I really enjoy food. I would have to say that food is an obsession of mine. My obsession with food is not to the point that I can't control myself around it, but it is one of the great pleasures of my life. Not only do I enjoy going out to restaurants to sample different cuisines, but I also like to dibble and dabble a bit in and around the kitchen. I by no means consider myself a chef, well maybe somewhat of a fly by night chef, hence my moniker the Midnight Chef. I also use this nickname because I tend to start preparing meals at the wee hours of the night.

My love of food has also opened my eyes to the fact that I also enjoy looking at cookware and watching cooking shows on the Food Network (Chopped is by far my favorite) and the Cooking Channel. I also purchase and use cookbooks to help inspire me to create in times when I need inspiration. Sometimes I forgo the cookbooks and just freestyle it (that means to go off the top of my head for anyone who missed the meaning).

I have also found that my love and fondness for cooking has provided me another form of entertainment and venue to relieve stress. I've come to realize that we all need these types of venues to help us deal with the everyday pressures that we experience as we navigate this vast complex set of intricate twists and turns of tunnels and open spaces we call life.

Okay, so I know I have completely gotten of topic with this blog, but like the title says this blog is dedicated to a set of "Random thoughts that go through my head". So I hope you will be patient with me as I lead you on this journey to a specific place and point.

Since I am such a lover of food and cooking, I know that I must engage in some type of physical activity (this means more than walking around the block once in your 10 year old kicks that looks brand new because of their lack of usage) in order to keep myself from blowing up like a house. You can't eat as much as I do, while being sedentary most of the day, and not expect to pack on the pounds over the years. I mean I am getting older and I don't think (well I actually know) my metabolism is planning on increasing as time progresses.

One thing that I have learned over the years is that nutrition is key to keeping your self physically fit as well as an exercise routine that incorporates interval cardiovascular and strength training (Yes women strength training is also good for you too, and no you wont start looking to masculine unless you already had that problem LOL). If you have given up the candy and the cakes and you still find yourself having a hard time trying to attain a certain goal, try transitioning some of those in between snacks from fruits to vegetables. I'm not trying to say that fruits aren't healthy, but they still contain sugar, natural sugar, but still sugar. The transition of some of these in between snack from fruits to vegetables should reduce your overall sugar intake, which might give the extra lift needed to get rid of those extra five (5) pounds.

Anyway, give it try and see how it works.

No comments: