Monday, April 11, 2011

DC Restaurant Review: 1905



If you live in the nations capitol, then you probably know that the U-Street Corridor is littered with a variety of small boutique restaurants. These restaurants are very unique in that they their decor as well as their menus are not usually duplicated anywhere through out the city.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to to dine a the restaurant 1905. 1905 is one of the many small boutique type restaurants that calls the U Street Corridor home. It is actually located on the edge of the eastern part of the U Street Corridor. The address of the restaurant is 1905 9th Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20001(I've embedded a Google Map for your convenience).



Anyway, now that you have the location, its time to get down to the main course or better yet the main point of this blog entry, the FOOD. To start off, I ordered the Main Lobster Meatballs. Yes I said it, Main Lobster Meatballs. I've never had a meatball made out of lobster before, but I figured what the hell. The actual appetizer I ordered was the Maine Lobster Meatballs in an aged sherry, tomato, and cream sauce. When I say HEAVEN, I really mean it. I have never had a meatball so tasty in my life.


As shown is the picture, the dish came with three huge meatballs made of nothing but lobster and not like some restaurants that serve you a crab cake that is mostly made of cake and less crab. This chef did it the right way. The entire meatball was lobster. On top of that, the aged sherry, tomato, and cream sauce was AMAZING. When I say AMAZING, I really mean AMAZING.

After my appetizer, I figured it was going to be all down hill after that, but then my entree arrived. For my entree, I ordered the Pan Seared Duck Breast with squash ragout, rosemary-rye bread pudding, and lingonberry-Côte du Rhône Cumberland sauce. If you have not had duck before, I recommend giving it a try. Duck has slight different taste than chicken and usually has more fat, but when prepared correctly, it leaves a nice savory taste that lights your mouth up with joy. The dish I ordered did what I expected it to do to my taste buds, even though the Lobster Meatballs had already got the party popping earlier. My only negative comment about the main entree, was the bread pudding became a little soggy due to the duck being served on top of it. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the entree.

To wrap this review up, I recommend to stop in to 1905. Word from the wise, make a resevation, because when I say boutique, I really mean boutique, as in limited space.

Another thing I found out while I was there, was that 1905 has different events during the week. They have a late night happy hour that starts at 11:00 pm, YES I SAID IT, 11:00 pm to close and it doesn't close until 2am Tue-Thurs and 3am, Fri-Sat. The restaurant also has Taco Tuesdays,  Burger Wednesdays, and Live Jazz on Thursdays. I'm planning on hitting 1905 up on Taco Tuesdays and the live jazz on Wednesdays in the future.  You should too.




1 comment:

julesmgmt said...

I have never heard of 1905. But, it sounds delightful. Mental note to self, make a reservation. Thanks, Dwayne