Friday, June 24, 2011

DC Hide Away: Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar



I happen to be walking from the Starbucks on Pennsylvania Ave SE, some time in the spring of 2010, when I came upon a small restaurant named Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar. I was like, wow, this place looks very nice. I proceeded to check the place out an was very impressed with the decor. The restaurant is not that big, but what really impressed me was the private dining room upstairs for events as well as what they have dubbed the Avenue lounge. You see, around the same time I was in the process of planning the Florida A&M University - National Alumni Association (FAMU-NAA)Washington, DC Chapter's first ever wine social. I felt that Sonoma was the perfect venue and that my timing for this discovery couldn't have come any sooner because I was having a hard time finding the right venue.

What I like about Sonoma is that you can stop in to have a glass of wine and some cheese at the the bar down stairs or upstairs in the lounge. The lounge has a very nice ambiance in the evenings with the exposed brick, dimmed recessed lighting accented with the soft flickering light from the candles on the tables. It's just a nice place to sit and enjoy the evening with some friends. Another time I stopped in on my way home from work and was fortunate to meet Conregressman John Lewis. My civil rights movement experts and Atlanta people know who I'm talking about.

Even thought I've been going to Sonoma since last spring, I have to admit that I've never ordered anything off of their menu other than a combination of a charcuterie board with a selection of assorted cheese. If you are interested in dining at Sonoma you should check out She's Savvy Blog. She actually dined at the restaurant last fall and gave it a glaring review. 

I've also provided a few pictures of the avenue lounge for you to get a feel of the ambiance. I recommend stopping in for dinner or a glass of wine with a some cheese.






P.S. Sonoma also has a happy hour in the lounge from 5 - 7pm Tuesdays - Saturdays. I forgot to ask why they have named it the Italian Happy Hour, but glasses of wine are five dollars and they also offer three dollar beers  and signature cocktail drinks.


No comments: