Thursday, June 18, 2009

Torture

I recently replied to a blog entry by a friend of mine dealing with Torture. Please click on the hyperlink (Torture) to access the original blog entry. Below are my comments to that blog entry:

 

The torture question

 

I waver back on forth on this subject due to the fact that you can never really tell if the individual you are torturing has valuable information or has done anything other than being in the wrong place, company, or skin. I don't think I really have a problem with torture but I feel that everyone should realize that this is a slippery slope. What if the person you are torturing really is an innocent person and has no information to provide. On the other hand the person might have valuable information that could save thousands or millions of lives. My only request is that we not be hypocrites. If we proceed to use torture as a means as interrogation on captured terrorists, then we also must be prepared for any US soldier captured to be treated the same way. We can't expect everyone else to follow the rules while we break them ourselves.

 

 

No comments: